Tuesday 6 December 2011

doing like the israelis

A few weeks ago I read an article in the Observer newspaper (see link below) about a market in Jerusalem that was ""in very bad shape, economically, socially. The market was vanishing, the malls and supermarkets were taking all the people". I felt a sense of dèja vu so strong, it was as if I had been slapped in the face by the one I love.


The story goes that In 2000 the chairman of the Mahane Yehuda Market Traders Association, Eli Mizrahi, opened an espresso bar in the market. The bar was a success and slowly there followed an influx of restaurants, cafes and designer shops. The area was slowly and partially gentrified........


"The new businesses are not more than 10% or 20%, but they were the trigger for people to come back to the market."


I ask myself, I ask everyone, if Shepherds Bush Market is ailing in much the same way that the Mahane Yehuda was, is the solution to demolish large parts of the existing area and build houses? 
Why can we not find a solution to gently introduce a few businesses to the market which will increase trade for everyone?


http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/13/jerusalem-dispatch-bar-reopens

No comments:

Post a Comment